Monday, October 19, 2009

Of scales and more nonsensical reports

Reports...

Reports...

Reports...

And More Reports..

Why did God create REPORTS!!!

Why do we have to type SO MANY REPORTS!!

Wasting paper and killing more trees only...

I wonder if the hantu that came up with this idea of writing THIS MANY reports is related to the owner of the A4 paper company or something...

Next monday holiday...

YESH!! CANT WAIT!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eversince I started Int Med posting, I meet patients who are constantly in pain and I find myself having to ask them this favourite question everytime.

Me : So,on the scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being pain that u can bear and 10 being unbearable pain that death seems so much sweeter (Ok,maybe i didn't say it that way but it still has death being so much better than the pain), how would u rate your pain?

On one occasion, a friend of mine asked that question to a patient who said he was in so much pain that is was so unbearable and this was what happened..

Sky's Friend : So uncle, on the scale of 1 to 10,what you rate your pain? 1 is boleh tahan pain and 10 is pain until want to die (direct translations k)
Patient : 1

And since we are on the subject of scales..
I was feeeling really depressed the other day cause I just finished my mini -CEX (its not pronounced SEX although it seems like that) and the feedback I got was I need to study more.It was not just from the lecturer (Thanks Dr Koh,you were really nice. You ROCK!! => OK,if your reading this,you did not see that statement yeah Dr. I'l bring a yellow bag for you incase I see u and if u ask me question and my answer makes u want to 'vomit blood'. Since the dustbin I pointed to is not the right place to vomit in..Hehe.. ) but it also came from following doctors for rounds and when they bombard me with questions, half the time I stand there stumped and admittingly telling them the much dreaded words most people don't like to hear.

"I'm sorry but I don't know."

Although its an honest answer,I cant help feeling so stoopid and how low it makes me feel to tell them I don't know.Sometimes I wonder if i'm studying right.I read alot but when questions are thrown at me,my brain feels like its been dipped in Nitrogen solution or suddenly the flow of electrical impulses all stop to the simultaneous Red light.And truth to be told,its affecting my morale and confidence in this field even more.

I want to do what I'm doing now.I want to do medicine cause everyday is really exciting.The patients I meet and talk to, the new things I see that most people would never believe is possible.
But,am I good enough?
Am I really prepared?

My sister told me one of her friend who was suppose to be doing housemanship has quit.Mum,jie and I were talking about it over the dinner table.We felt it was strange and such a waste.But what I took away from that table troubled me more and further pulmate my confidence.

What if I end up like Jie's friend?
What if I cant take the stress?
What if I make it all the way cause thats as much strength I have but the next 2 years in housemanship is the final straw for me?

I don't want to end up like Jie's friend.
I want to succeed.

And mum said something else that really struck a cord and now has me chewing on.
Studying is one thing in medicine,the stress is another thing.Everyone can study but not everyone can take the pressure.


And after all that pondering,I came up with this scale that's currently posted on my MSN pm.
Its call the stoopid scale.
Goes more or less along the same line as the pain scale : 1 being bearble stoopid,10 being REALLY TOTALLY INSANELY BEYOND DOUBT (and help) stupid..
Basically its asking people to rate how stoopid they think I am..

So...
On the scale of 1 to 10,How stoopid do u think I am? 

1 comment:

Pei-Wen said...

You are 8 on stupidity scale. LOL.

I am 10. So we can bersama sama try to un-stupid-fy ourselves.