Saturday, August 1, 2009

Of make ups and creating 'Good impressions'

Ever gotten that deje vu feeling when someone tells u something and u swore u heard it before somewhere somehow but cat put ur finger on it?

I got another deja vu,this time coming from me own boss!!
Happened last friday while i was busy at work.A friend dropped in at work.After she left,boss made a comment bout her that went something like this..

Boss: Eh,that girl your friend is it?
Me : Yup.
Boss : Wah,quite pretty ah.Her hair so nice.And she uses make up somemore,looks very pretty.
Me : Erm,yea.Alot of my batchmates use it alot,even just to come for lectures.
Boss : Yea,I can tell also.Some girls really care bout how they look and really take the effort to do it.

After a moment of silence.

Boss : I can tell if a girl wants to be pretty.Like like to put on make up and dress nicely.
Me : Oh. (What can i say,i was busy doing my work le...)
Boss : People like M...(looks at me and only when I look at her ) and like you la.
Me : *blink,blink* Har?
Boss : Yalah,u don't put make up.See how you sit also can tell your not the kind who cares about what people think about you.
(I was sitting crossleg on the chair in front of the computer in plane view for everyone who walks in to see my cinapek style of sitting.Not my fault le,its so uncomfortable to sit straight back doing work in front of the computer.And staring at the computer screen all day makes me even more uncomfortable so I NEED to get comfy if I want to finish my work...such innocence shot to the grown..cries)

Yes,this is not the first time that I've heard it.
I'm not a huge fan of donning make up and dressing to the nines.I may have a nifty stash of those artificial colouring used to paint the face like some form of artist's canvas but honestly I will say it here,I don't use much of it.

To prove it,I swear by the fact that some of the items in my stash are MORE than 5 years already.AND!!! Its still new,like it was still off the shelf.
The most I use,is a lip gloss and eye liner.Occasionally when I have break-outs and am on the out,I use concealer and face powder.I do always use a lip balm coz my lips crack easily from the dry air in uni to the point it bleeds.And yes,its REALLY painful when it bleeds.But other than that,everything else stays in the stash.
As to what prompt me to buy them,don't ask.I blame it on their attractive colours that just attracts me like a fish to a worm.Lol..

Taking a trip back to the past,I remembered when someone first brought up this very same topic.

Flash back 1 :
Grandpa came down for a visit when I was still in high school.He and dad got talking bout something i cant quite remember.Me was happily jumping off the stairs when he suddenly turned and said "U must also learn how to dress properly next time.Looks give people the first impression about u.Must learn to dress nicely,especially if you want to go for interviews.And act properly also la.Don't be so unlady like."
Yes,i nearly missed my footing when that happen.


Flash back 2 :
This was sometime very much later,my dad brought up the exact same thing.Like I did not listen to the first time grandpa mentioned it.
"The way u dress carries what kind of person you are.Its important to dress right for the occasion.Don't simple wear anything just because."
I think my dad was referring to the fact that back then,I was always in baggy clothes and on occasions,even to functions in jeans.YES,i think Dank,will have a field at that statement and this next one.I wore baggy clothes when i was in high school cause I love the freedom of movements it gave me.
Until someone thought I was so kesian to wear oversized hand-me-downs from my non-existent brother and mistook me for a kid coz of my size.Sheesh..such prejudice against small size people.

Flash back 3 :
An uncle in church brought up the SAME topic again when I was usherring in the front.

Church uncle :Girl,your already in college ledi.How come u don't use any make up wan?
Me : Har? What for?
Church uncle : Coz all the other girls ur age using some.See,they look so nice.
Me : *small laugh*Aiyo,I only come to church la,don't need to wear until THAT nice.After that just go home only so dun need la.
Church uncle : But you look so pale la.At least with some on,you wouldn't look so pale.And maybe look fresher.Looks is important.Cause it creates impression.Must dress nicely too.
Me : ...........
Point to note,I blame the flourescent lights for making me look pale.Then again,I'm slightly anaemic so maybe the finger points back to me.Oh,and because I was on duty,I have to wake up earlier and being not much of an early riser,it probably explains why I look pale and dead in the morning.And for my choice of tacky clothes :P
And no,that does not mean I dress to the nines and don make up for church.I still don my favourite jeans and tees,no make up coz i want the extra minutes snoozing :P

But honestly,I don't see the point of donning that much make up and dressing up so nice.I've seen women who apply so much foundation it literally MELTS off their face like icing on a cake and some dressing like they are going for a dinner gala when they are only selling frozen meat in a small shop.I've known some who take HOURS to beautify themselves and take painstalking hours of rummaging through their warehouse amount of clothes,JUST to go out and get a couple of groceries.
Is that logical to anyone out there?
Ok,fine,true,you don't know who might be watching but do u really care WHO is watching?
On the finer note,WHO ARE you expecting to be watching you?Again,does it really matter if and why they are watching?
Why couldn't all women be like men,just thrown on a shirt and pants and alil scent to cover up the bad BO and out the door we go.Why the fuss bout getting the hair right,the make up right and getting the right clothes to go with the right shoes and the right bag?

No wonder they say women are complicated.
Heck,even I'm flabbergasted with my own spesies.

No comments: